Grievance Policy and Procedure

Grievance Policy and Procedure

In accordance with the Independence, Inc. Statement of Consumer Rights and Responsibilities, people with disabilities, parents of minors, guardians, and community service providers have the right to initiate a grievance regarding staff or service at Independence, Inc. In order to solve problems as efficiently as possible, please follow the steps listed below:

  1. Attempt to resolve the grievance with the employee.
  2. If the grievance is not resolved with the employee, go to the employee’s immediate supervisor.
  3. If it is not resolved with the supervisor, put your complaint in writing and send it to the Executive Director of Independence, Inc.
  4. If the above actions have been taken and there is still no resolution to the problem, you may then request that the grievance be forwarded to the Independence, Inc. Board of Directors. The Board will review and respond to your grievance.

NOTE: The Client Assistance Program at the Disability Rights Center of Kansas has advocates available to assist you during any phase of the grievance procedure.

Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC)
635 S.W. Harrison Street, Suite 100
Topeka, Kansas 66603-3726
Voice: 785-273-9661
Toll free Voice: 1-877-776-1541
Toll free TDD: 1-877-335-3725
Fax: 785-273-9414

Independence, Inc. employees are also available to explain the procedure and help with the process.

Also available: PDF version of this document.