Getting vaccinated is now convenient (no appointment necessary at most locations), open to everyone 12 years + and FREE! If you live in Douglas County and need a ride to your appointment, contact our Independence, Inc. General Public Transportation Department and get scheduled!
COVID-19 Vaccination Resources:
►LMH Health COVID19 Vaccine Information Sheet: What you Need to Know : Answers to the most-asked COVID-19 Vaccine questions; Where to get your vaccine and more!
►Just Food Vaccination Clinics: Tuesday June 8, 9:00-6:00 | Wednesday June 16, 9:00 – 3:00 | Tuesday June 22, 9:00-6:00 | 1000 E. 11th St. Lawrence
FREE, convenient, walk-in vaccines to anyone 12 years and older! No insurance needed! Just show up and get vaccinated!
► Lawrence Douglas County Public Health Vaccine Information: Where to get vaccinated: local clinics, pharmacies and more, vaccine information, “Vaccine Concerns Corner” and much more!
Independence, Inc. Current COVID-19 Operating Policy
[UPDATED May 3, 2021] We are now open to the public! Our current COVID-related protocol is as follows:
- All staff remain hard at work in our building during regular office hours, wearing masks in common areas, practicing social distancing and keeping all areas clean and sanitized
- We have a new secure enclosure in our lobby reception area to ensure the safety of our staff, consumers and visitors
- Our front door is now UNLOCKED for public entry!
- Our Computer Lab is now OPEN to the Public! Safety barriers have been installed between computers and we ask that only 2 people at a time utilize our lab and that visitors social distance, keeping one computer in between you
- Masks must still be worn at all times within common areas of our building and social distancing must be practiced
- We ask that you continue to make an appointment if an in-person meeting with a staff member is necessary. We encourage virtual meetings and all staff are available to meet with consumers through Zoom, Chime, or by phone or email. We are also available to chat through Facebook Messenger and through our Website instant chat option
Our contact information has not changed; you can continue to reach us M-F 8:30-5:00 Contact Us. We will update this page if any information changes.
► National Efforts and Resources for Equal Access to COVID-19 Vaccination
- LISC: Vaccine Access Fund National Initiative
- Administration for Community Living: Strategies for Helping Older Adults and People with Disabilities Access COVID-19 Vaccines
- Office for Civil Rights: Disability Access in Vaccine Distribution
- President Biden’s National Strategy for COVID-19 Response
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Service Bulletins
- Get Tested
- Housing Assistance:
- Kansas Eviction Prevention Program– CARES Act funded program to assist tenants behind on rent because of COVID
- Housing Stabilization Collaborative (HSC) – local program providing rent support and low-interest microloans to Douglas County renters experiencing COVID-related income loss; collaborative between Tenants to Homeowners and Family Promise
- Utility Assistance
- City of Lawrence CARES act utility assistance – begins November 1st, 2020
- Food Resources:
- COVID-Related Community Updates
►National Organization Websites and Information
- Idividual $500 COVID-19 relief: grant opportunity for those with SCI/D
- World Health Organization COVID-19 Information
- CDC – How to Protect Yourself
- CDC American Sign Language COVID video series
- Federal Restrictions to Visiting Nursing Homes 3.16.20
- For Employers/Workplace: EEOC Guidance on COVID-19 and the ADA
►Kansas Resources and Information
- State of Kansas COVID-19 Jobs and Hiring Portal
- Housing resources: Foreclosure, Eviction, Late Rent
- Symptom Checker – COVID-19 vs. Cold, Flu, Allergies
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment Updates and Resources
- State of Kansas Go Get Tested site: Free COVID-19 testing site directory
► Self Advocacy/Resources for People with Disabilities & Direct Support Workers
- Southeast ADA Center and ADA National Network COVID-19 portal for people with disabilities
- SARTAC COVID-19 information for self-advocates
- COVID-19 HCBS Waiver Meaures:
- National Rehabilitation Information Center – resources to stay healthy, active and engaged while sheltering-in-place
- National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals (NADSP) COVID-19 Toolkit for Personal Service Care Workers and other Direct Support Professionals
- GrassRoots Advocates for Independent Living (GRAIL): Preparation Tips for Self-Directing Consumers
- National ILRU Disaster Hotline for People With Disabilities
- American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD) Survey Participants Needed!
- AAHD is conducting survey-based research to study the impact of COVID-19 on people with disabilities and they need YOU to participate!
- To participate in the survey on how the COVID pandemic has impacted you/your life https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/COVID-19-Disability
- EEOC Issued Updated COVID-19 Technical Assistance Publication : What You Should Know About COVID-19, the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act and Other EEO Laws